Wednesday, February 18, 2009

QUOTE BY HAWK ON COACHING LIFESTYLE

From Coach Muss' Blog:

According to the article, Western Michigan Coach Steve Hawkins who has had two seizures in the last two years because of a four-hour nightly sleep pattern. Now he forces himself to get 7-8 hours, turning off the game film by 11:30 p.m."

"I don’t know if we’re killing ourselves, but we’re probably taking years off our lives," Hawkins said. "If I have to trade 3 to 5 years off my life but I get to coach basketball all my life, I’d take that deal any day. You’re affecting lives and you’re coaching a game. Every coach has a doctor, but coaches aren’t good patients. Coaches aren’t coachable. They’re always worried that someone is outworking them, so they keep grinding."

One doctor warns that "coaches who bottle up internal stress and don’t take care of their bodies are at risk for high blood pressure, heart problems, depression and anxiety," but adds that "it’s a constant battle because you want to win, and you’re always under the gun by the public. If you don’t produce, people are always looking for the next-best coach. That weighs on a staff heavily."